My favorite time killing entertainments are listed below, starting with the most serious and dwindling quickly to pastimes with no social value or redeeming qualities… enjoy!
- The Week news magazine. Provides right, left, and center views of major news topics, as well as a synopsis of US news, world news, and some fun entertainment pieces. It’s a great way for busy folks to keep up with what’s going on in the world, there’s always something that makes me laugh, and plenty of conversation fodder.
- British Crime novels. PD James novels are favorites, specifically the Adam Dalgliesh series. I’m a sucker for the whole genre. I started early, devouring every Agatha Christie novel stocked in my local library before my 13th birthday.
- Music: The Luckiest, by Ben Folds. It’s a few years old, but I’d never heard it until Hubs played it for me a year ago. I feel super mushy every time I hear it. And while we’re talking about Ben Folds, have you ever heard his collaboration with William Shatner? Common People is my favorite song on the Has Been album. Sheer genius.
- Surprise military homecoming videos. So many of our Service Men and Women are deployed in theaters of war these days. I cannot imagine the pride, fear, and hope their families must feel. If you haven’t watched any of these videos, check them out… they’re so completely and utterly heartwarming. I cry every time. There are dozens of great videos out there, but this one is a great place to start.
- Watching talent show auditions on youtube (X Factor, American Idol, whatever), then stalking my favorite performers. You remember Paul Potts and Susan Boyle… my newest favorite: Ella Henderson, she’s a beautiful, sweet, 16 year old with a KILLER voice, and she writes her own songs. Can’t wait for her first album!
- Wedding proposal videos on youtube. They get me every time. This one is a favorite. And the follow up video made me cry too. (Seriously, these 2 are worth the 10 minutes: so incredibly, amazingly, deeply sweet).
- French Bulldog photos and videos. I know, I’ve said it before. I’m defenseless against their cuteness.
- Guilty pleasure: watching Archer. So. Incredibly. Offensive. I laugh so loud the neighbors can hear. Available on Netflix.
What are your entertainment favorites?